Saturday, January 25, 2014

So, Two Books ….




Book 12 started, Book 11 finished

Grantville Gazette volume 20 edited by Paula Goodlett
Published by Baen Books, 2008

This version of the gazette is perfectly fine but not one of the better ones.  There’s a good opening story story about the expansion of crochet and the Committee of Correspondence into Hamburg – an odd combination but it was enjoyable.  There was also a good story set in the Russian Embassy to the USE that I don’t remember being included in the later book, 1636: The Kremlin Games.  The rest are fairly mediocre.

3 stars.






Book 13 started, Book 11 finished

The Man who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange
Published by Cheeky Minion, 2013

This is an urban fantasy set in a decaying Earth connected to another world or dimension or reality more chaotic than ours as far as the rules of physics are concerned and peopled with a race who are like us only different.   This is a typical urban fantasy in that it’s the story of a loner and small time criminal type caught up in a larger conflict between rival gangs and the police.

It’s well edited, it’s well written.  It’s just not what I’m interested in reading at the moment.  I thought I was when I picked it up.  But I’m at 13% in and I don’t really care about the main character/narrator or the story that’s beginning to unfold.  I think, for me, it's that nothing really stands out.  It reads like just another urban fantasy; one among many ....


Maybe I’ll pick it up again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment